(416) 414-5690

FAQs

  1. If we have mould... Can't we just kill it with bleach?

    NO!  Killing mould growth once established with bleach, a biocide, ultraviolet lights and ozone is not recommended by leading industry associations and is a complete waste of time and money.  Killing mould will only retard its growth for a short period of time.  Dead mould spores can be just as toxic as living mould spores and can have the same health effect on the occupants of the building.  Mould does not behave the same way as bacteria and killing it should not be mistaken as clean-up or removal.

  2. Isn't mould all around us?

    Yes.  However, the genus and species of mould growing indoors are not usually found in large numbers in the outside air.  In addition, the mould that grows indoors tends to be more toxic than mould found outdoors.  If you have a significant mould problem indoors you may be breathing in tens of thousands (or more) spores than you would in a normal environment or outdoors gardening.

  3. If we have mould on drywall, why don't we just tear it out? Do we need an inspection?

    It depends how it got there and how serious the mould issue is.  A small area of mould growth (less than 1 square foot) growing on concrete in a cold cellar can be cleaned up without a mould assessment.  Mould growing on drywall, however, could be an indicator of a more serious mould issue inside the wall.  If the wall is opened without protecting the rest of the area from traveling mould spores, you may be making the problem worse and more expensive to rectify.

  4. We have a new house... Do we really need to have an indoor air quality inspection?

    Yes. The age of the building has no bearing on whether there could be mould, radon, poor air quality, etc.  Newer buildings have more IAQ problems such as VOC chemical off gassing and can also have mould due to poor building design and construction.

  5. We live in Toronto... Do we need to worry about Radon?

    Yes.  We are finding elevated radon levels in many homes in the southern Ontario region.  Radon has been linked to lung cancer and at low levels is equivalent to smoking 1.5 packs of cigarettes per day.  There are multiple factors influencing radon levels, however, it does not produce any odour or any other visible effects.

  6. Our windows have condensation in the winter. Should we replace the windows?

    In some cases the windows will need replacing if they are old and allowing water to intrude into the building.  However, we have found in numerous cases that the problem is actually not the window itself.  If the ventilation in the home is not adequate, replacing the windows may not solve the issue.  In fact, it may make no difference at all.  An air quality assessment would determine the cause of this problem and provide better solutions.

  7. How Dangerous is Radon?

    Radon is a colourless, odourless, invisible natural gas created from the natural breakdown of uranium deep within the earth. If radon testing discovers high levels of radon gas in your home it compromises your indoor air quality, leaving you and your family are at risk: radon gas is the second-most leading cause of lung cancer.

    How Is It Harmful?

    Radon gas particles are small enough to be inhaled. These radioactive particles settle in the respiratory system and cause damage, scarring, and cellular changes as they break down, leading to lung disease and cancer. 

    Find Out if There’s Radon in Your Home

    Testing for radon gas with SafeAir is a safe and effective way to understand the risk level in your home. These long-term passive tests are a discreet and accurate way to measure radon gas. If radon testing reveals an increased risk, we can help you put into place solutions to protect you and your family. 

    Contact SafeAir for Home Radon Testing.

Book Your Indoor Air Quality Assessment And The Path To A Healthier Indoor Environment.

CONTACT US NOW

Thank You!

Your inquiry has been successfully submitted!
We will contact you shortly.

Please, enter a valid value